Welcome to my creative online journal

Thursday 20 May 2010

Gold Key Fobs

Hands up who recognises this?:
Maybe a few of the older ones amongst you (tee hee). 
This is what I have used to create my craft tonight:
It is, of course, a very dusty,old typewriter.
(And yes, it was one of my charity shop finds a while back, with the intention of doing something crafty with it!)

I was inspired to do this craft when I was looking through my massive blog list today and spotted this craft for a Father's Day present.
I decided to make my own labels using gold card:
Trouble was, this typewriter didn't like the thickness of the card much so kept slipping:
But I think it adds to the charm!
I used a template of tags which I drew around onto the card with a blunt point (the tip of my computer mouse pen!) and cut around each tag leaving a small border.  I punched a hole in the tags and used a book ring to attach them to a massive brass key:
I need to back them with some thicker card to finish them off but I am generally quite happy with how they have turned out.

See you tomorrow,
qwiksave

6 comments:

Carmen said...

I love this - doesn't look like cardboard at all. You find the most amazing charity shop finds :P

Gorgeous effect :)

Kandi said...

Wow, these are really impressive, I want a typewriter now.
I remember these well, I did RSA Typewriting at school what feels like a lifetime ago now :)
Kandi x

Nicky Stevenson said...

Thanks Carmen and Kandi. I also did RSA Typewriting at school an age ago. It was such an effort to press down each key to do this project, especially as it was on card and of course I am so used to computer keyboards now!
x

Perfect Balance Marketing said...

Your tags are just gorgeous. My mum used to have a typewriter (was heavier then a settee!) but it's long gone now - maybe some lucky soul found it in a charity shop... ;o) You could try using thin metal sheets to type on rather than cardboard as they wouldn't be so tough? But then your card doesn't look like card anymore so maybe no need! xox

Nicky Stevenson said...

I must admit (confession time now!) I was going to use thin metal sheets but couldn't find them in the mess that is my attic room!

furrypig said...

Ooh I too did typing at school (many moons ago!) those tags are just great thanks for sharing

Related Posts with Thumbnails