Welcome to my creative online journal

Sunday 9 May 2010

Crafts in my House

Bah! Another rotten day weatherwise outside so what better excuse than to show you some artistic bits and pieces I have around the inside of my house?  These pieces haven't been created by me but I have used some artistic licence and altered the pics I have taken of them today using my favourite photo editing programme, Picnik.

First up we have this painting:
This is an acrylic painting on canvas painted by a very talented previous lodger.
This is a framed photo of an enormous wave crashing against a coastal village - no idea where it was taken.  I got this from a junk shop ages ago for £1!
This is lovely. Not sure quite how it was made - a tiled mirror with painted shell decoration.  We got it from a craft shop in Ireland whilst on Honeymoon 14 years ago!
This is a detail of a painting  - love the way you can see the  texture of the brushstrokes. Origin of this one unknown.
This is so texture rich too. Made of handmade paper. Signed WaterfieldYoung, an american artist. Can't believe I got this for just £1 from a Salvation Army shop!
This sea creature mural in my son's bedroom was painted by me when 8 months pregnant with my first child.  It's still there as my son doesn't want me to paint over it! (10 years later!)
And finally, we have this.  It's left over from our 'hippy days'. It is a large bicycle wheel with the spokes wrapped around with coloured material and giant feathers tied on. It also has a metallic golden sun with a face attatched to the middle.  It was made by a friend of ours and hangs on a wooden area above the stairs.

This is just a selection of some of the pieces we have in our house, do you have hand crafted or painted items in your house?

See you tomorrow,
qwiksave

4 comments:

Carmen said...

Wow what diverse and fun tastes you have. I love the bycicle wheel and the framed photo of the wave. How cool that your son loves his mural that much too. We don't have anything on our walls because they are all either damp of plasterboard so am frightened nothing will stay up :( I should start though as it's so boring and I do have some nice bits just hidden away in drawers.

Nicky Stevenson said...

Thanks for the comment Carmen. I love that wave photo too, I would love to know where it is.

I could watch real big waves for hours though, something hypnotic about their power.

What a shame you can't put stuff up. Maybe you could lean things against the wall in places?

x

PepPop said...

The first one reminds me of Matisse. Love the bicycle wheel but my favourite is definately the mural. that's irreplaceable. Jaqui x

Nicky Stevenson said...

Aww, thanks Jaqui!

x

Related Posts with Thumbnails